SUMMER HEAT SAFETY TIPS
The weather may be super-hot outside, but don’t sweat it! With these simple tips you’ll stay cool all day.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water
- If you are spending the day outside, take frequent breaks indoors or in the shade
- Wear sunscreen… nobody wants a sunburn!
- Wear summer appropriate clothes that will keep you from over-heating
- Make sure to wear a hat and sunglasses to help protect yourself from the sun
- Check in on loved ones to see how you can help them stay cool and hydrated!
WATER SAFETY TIPS
During hot summer days, our beautiful local lakes are cold, clear and refreshing so it is no wonder that they are so popular. Here are some tips on how to stay safe on the water while out and "aboat".
- Wear your life jacket: it’s the most effective piece of safety equipment you can use while on the water
- Be prepared: carry the required safety equipment and ensure vessel preparedness
- Be aware of cold-water risks: the immediate effects of cold-water immersion can be life-threatening… even on a hot summer day
- Don’t drink and boat: for your own safety, and the safety of others you must be attentive and responsive
- Take a course: familiarize yourself with the areas and activity in which you are engaging
For more safety tips while out on the water visit https://www.adventuresmart.ca/water-safety/ for more info.
HOW TO BEAT THE HEAT
Local lakes and beaches are the popular choice during a Mission heat wave, but they aren't the only choice! For alternative activities that are just as fun, check out our 10 Ways to Beat the Heat in Mission, BC blog post.
So, “water” you doing this summer? Hopefully it includes plans with lots of hydrating and a way to beat the heat!